Friday 11 May 2007

Goodbye Tony

So we have it at last. Uncle Tony will be leaving on June 27. He will use his last 7 weeks touring the world, no doubt saying goodbye...and more importantly saying hello to new money from lectures circuits. The Americans love him, and I am sure they will pay him handsomely to hear him speak. Well, good luck to him.

I voted for Labour in 1997. Personally, I think he has done quite well for the economy for Britain. However, like many, I was against him invading Iraq. I think this will taint his legacy, which he so obviously wants to protect. I also think that he has done some harm to the public sector by trying to control it too much. For example, even though, lots of money has been poured into the NHS, morale is quite low in the workforce, and he has turned doctors and nurses into clock-watchers. Goodwill has been destroyed. The recent MTAS process has also been a shamble. For the first time in NHS history, doctors will be unemployed by the thousands. Ironic isn't it, when only about 5 years ago, we were so short of doctors that we had to send team of NHS managers abroad to recruit. Now we are exporting doctors overseas; Australia being the popular choice.

So, the coronation of Uncle Gordon is in the process. I have admired his intellect over the last 10 years. I do not think that he will make a lot of difference compared to the Blair years. This is because I think he was behind a lot of Blair's policies anyway. Certainly, he has done a good job as Chancellor of the Exchequer, although some would disagree with that. Nevertheless, because of his intellect and also I admit it, I felt sorry for him for having to wait for so long, I think he should have an opportunity to exercise his intellect openly, rather than just behind the scene.

So would I vote Labour again in the next election? Yes, I would like to do so for the above reason. However, I would be voting Conservative as there is no hope that Labour would win in my constituency. But, I am fairly sure that it would be a Labour 4th. term, as the Tories have not present the case to be the new party of government.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah, very chim hor. Next time have to put on my einstein cap when i come here.

Hammerhead said...

hijackqueen,
Welcome! Not so chim here lah..only casual philosophy..