Friday 11 May 2007

Everlasting Love

" I live in a council flat. I am a widow. My husband died 3 years ago. We looked after each other for 46 years. We went everywhere together. I still miss him very much."

I came across this statement today. It stopped me in my tracks. No, I did not read this in a lifestyle magazine or heard it on a live chat show. It seemed so out of place, and yet so much in context. It was a response to a question about her home living condition. I usually just gloss over the nursy bits of the preoperative assessment form and zoom in on the medical section. I could sense that this was a very special lady. She has so many problems and yet was upbeat about everything. "Till death do us part" was a vow that she obvious clung onto to well beyond the grave. I was touched......I was impressed........and I was humbled. It was just so profound. It just resonates with something deep within myself..........perhaps a part of myself that I have yet to comprehend. It caused me to reflect. Am I also capable of such depth of love?? Amazing love!

No comments: