Saturday 28 April 2007

Animal Surgery

I was just watching a vet operating on TV yesterday. It was to reduce a hernia on the animal. Not too sure what the animal was. Looks like a lamb, but I was sure that it was not a lamb. Did not manage to catch the commentary. Anyway, something always puzzled me when I watch animal operations. Why did the vet not bother wearing theatre scrubs and gloves to preserve a sterile field? Are infections not prevalent when surgery is carried out on animals? Surely yes! If anything, I thought that it would be more frequent than when the human species is having something done to them. Or is it because, one does not care if the animal catches an infection and die? What is more interesting is that, is the vet not afraid to catch anything from the animal? The Casual Philosopher continues to wonder.....

No comments: